OUR LADY OF ALTÖTTING
QUEEN OF BAVARIA
Located in Altotting, Bavaria, Germany, the octagonal chapel was constructed of native stone c.680 and survives today. Wars and pestilence and politics have caused the area to change hands several times, but the chapel has always survived. The small image of Our Lady was carved of lime wood c.1330, its surface blackened by age, the uncounted thousands of candles burned near it, and a fire in 907 that threatened to destroy it.
In 1489 a drowned child returned to life after being prayerfully placed before a this image of Mary. Many miracles and cures have since been attributed to Our Lady of Altotting's intercession, and the area is known as the "Lourdes of Germany".
chapel has been a site for pilgrimage for over 500 years. Saint Conrad of
Parzham served as chapel doorkeeper for over 30 years, and Pope John Paul
II visited in 1980. It is one of the richest shrines in Europe with a immense
store of treasure donated by pilgrims through the centuries; these items are
not on display, but the crutches and other evidence of healings are there
for all to see.